A place for all kinds of food, crafts and general nerdery
After my technical failing this morning, I thought I would actually post something to try and smooth over it.
A couple of days ago, a friend asked me for the recipe to shortbread. I am a sucker for all things sweet far more than savoury and will gladly gobble up a plate of biscuits before touching crisps. So after looking at picture after picture of delicious looking shortbread, I decided to rustle some up for myself and my family. As my father is partial to lemon flavourings, I thought I would make some lemon shortbread instead of my normal vanilla.
It’s handy living in a house were two people bake, as there is always stuff in the house 😀 Of course, this means it’s disastrous for the diet lol!
So: Lemon Shortbread
125g Butter (room temperature)
55g Caster Sugar
180g Plain Flour
Few drops of lemon flavouring or a little fresh lemon juice.
1) In a bowl, cream together the butter and the sugar.
2) Gradually add the flour. It will get a bit tough at this point, and I usually use the flavouring to help bind the dough.
3) Add the drops of the flavouring gradually. Just enough to get the dough together.
4) Use a little bit of flour on the work surface and on the rolling pin. Roll out the dough to 1 inch – 1/2 inch thickness.
5) Cut out the shapes you want (I used a scone cutter) and place on a baking tray.
6) Place the tray in the fridge for 20 minutes to chill. Meanwhile, pre-heat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
7) Once the cookies have had time to chill, place them in the oven for 15 – 20 minutes.
I normally take mine out when they are solid to tap with a finger nail or the tip of a knife but still have a slight bit of give as they will harden slightly as they cool. I also put a bit of sugar on top by using a pastry brush and a bit of water as glue. Then just sprinkling the sugar on top. (Put a tray or something underneath as it can get a wee bit messy lol!)
Let them cool and enjoy.
If you would like to see any other recipes or have any to suggest, please leave me a comment below 🙂
Cheers for now,
There was an error retrieving images from Instagram. An attempt will be remade in a few minutes.