A place for all kinds of food, crafts and general nerdery
As I’m currently packing up my stuff to move, I don’t have much energy in the evenings. I still need food as I’m hungry but I cannot be bothered to spend ages over prepping and cooking. So this is one of those meals that was thrown together based on what I had in the cupboards. It surprised me that I actually enjoyed this. I will not claim it is the healthiest meal in the world but it was filling, quick and cheapish which was all I needed at the time (plus it meant less to move to the flat lol).
I thought I would post the recipe just in case anyone wants to try. Feel free to hate it though 🙂
A small note regarding my veg as I can see there being queries on my “not wanting to prep food” comment and then mentioning chopped onions lol! Where I can, I pre-chop and freeze all my veg. Peas, carrots, sweetcorn, cauliflower, broccoli, bell peppers, onion, garlic cloves etc. That way I can buy cheap and grab a handful when I need it.
60g pasta (I used shells, but smallish pasta would work)
1 Chicken Stock Cube
30g Quorn Chicken-Style pieces (fresh)
5g (1 tsp) Mixed Herbs
20g chopped onions (frozen)
1 clove garlic
15g (1 tbsp) tomato puree
100g chopped tomatoes
35g frozen mixed veg
10ml (2 tsp) oil
5g (1 tsp) sugar
Salt & Pepper
1) Place water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the stock cube and dissolve.
2) Once dissolved, reduce the heat and add the pasta and the veg. Leave to cook.
3) Meanwhile, in a saucepan or a frying pan, heat the oil.
4) Add the onion and garlic and soften.
5) Add the quorn pieces and stir through until lightly brown.
6) Add the chopped tomato, puree, sugar and mixed herbs. Stir through on low heat and allow to simmer.
7) If the sauce seems too thick for your liking, use some of the water from the pasta to thin it down.
8) Drain the pasta and veg. Add to the sauce pot and stir to coat.
9) Season as required.
10) Serve and add cheese.
If I was making this again, which I may do, I will probably use actual chicken chunks. Just because it was difficult to see when the quorn was cooked.
I am going to try a cheese sauce tomorrow as it always tastes better to me than a tomato sauce.
If you try, let me know 🙂
Cheers for now,