A place for all kinds of food, crafts and general nerdery
Hope everyone is settling into the new year nicely. How’s those resolutions going? Tough, aren’t they? Am struggling to keep pushing through the tiredness barrier and exercise, myself.
With the new uni academic year starting soon (for the Open University that is), I’m back into my habit of work, eat, exercise, study, sleep and repeat. Because of this, I’m trying to cook cheaper, quick preparing and healthy(ish) meals which can be rewarmed in a microwave at work (dinner and lunch in one cooking session. Bonus)
I honestly use smart price or Tesco value food and, for a lot of it, there is nothing wrong with it. Some of the soups could do with thickening in my opinion but things like veg, pasta, rice etc, they are all absolutely fine for things like this 🙂
Today’s meal was, as the title suggests:
chicken and veg pasta with a cheese sauce.
Serves 3 – 4
100g chicken breast (I used precooked slices of chicken from the same aisle as ham etc)
75g pasta shells
100g frozen veg (I used smart price)
2 tbsp (30g) plain flour (I used smart price here again)
Approx 250ml water.
100g double Gloucester or mature cheddar
1) In a pan, cook the pasta and the veg.
2) Whilst the pasta is cooking, grate the cheese.
3) When the pasta and veg is cooked, drain and put to one side.
4) In a pan, melt the butter over a medium heat. Be careful not to let it boil or burn.
5) Take the pan off the heat and add half a tablespoon of the flour. Mix into the butter thoroughly, leaving no lumps. A whisk is often better than a spoon at this stage.
6) Continue to do this with all the flour, each time making sure the mix is smooth.
7) It will start to form a loose paste at this point. Gradually add some of the water to the mix and mix thoroughly.
8) Keep going until all the flour/butter mix has been incorporated.
9) Place over a low heat, continuing to stir, and allow to warm through slightly.
10) Gradually add the cheese and mix until melted.
11) Add the pasta, veg and sliced chicken to the pan and mix to coat the ingredients in the sauce.
12) Continue to warm through for a few more minutes and then serve.
This meal makes 3 hearty dinners or 4 excellent lunches. Don’t forget that the sauce will thicken as it cools down. Once you have cooked this, remember to portion up the food before it cools completely.
Price per serving: 40p – 54p
Cals per serving: 262 – 349
Hope you guys enjoy this 🙂
Cheers for now 🙂