A place for all kinds of food, crafts and general nerdery
After a VERY stressful week, involving a trip up the hospital with the fella (all fine now though), a few changes are taking place in terms of diet. We’re trying to eat less carbs in general and by extension, gluten. I found a great book on gluten free baking and tried one of the recipes today.
The book was Michael McCamley – Gluten Free Baking (can be found here).
For the cake
50g gluten-free dark chocolate.
175g caster sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 tsp glycerine
175g gluten-free self-raising flour
1/2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
1 tsp xanthan gum
40g ground almonds
1) Pre-heat oven to 180C/GM 4 & line your muffin tin.
2) Melt the chocolate (either in a heat proof bowl over a pan of simmering water, or in the microwave at 10 second intervals).
3) In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and icing sugar.
4) Add the eggs 1 at a time and then add the vanilla and the glycerine.
5) Once the chocolate has cooled slightly, add it to the butter mix.
6) In another bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and xanthan gum. Then add the ground almonds.
7) Gently stir into the butter & chocolate mix.
8) Spoon into the muffin cases and bake for 15 – 20 mins.
For the frosting.
90g gluten-free dark chocolate
450g icing sugar
185ml almond milk (the recipe calls for normal milk but I like the flavour)
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1) Melt the chocolate and butter, again either in the microwave or over a saucepan.
2) Mix the icing sugar with half the milk and vanilla essence in another bowl.
3) Gradually add the chocolate mixture to the icing sugar.
4) Add the milk to get the desired consistency.
You are supposed to be able to pipe with this frosting, but as I’m still getting used to the consistency (especially after it cools down), I didn’t manage to pipe but I did manage to spread haha! 🙂
These are the cupcakes. I also decided to try out a silicone dinosaur muffin pan I had, and had yet to use. The colour is darker mainly because of drop in light, but I also had to use more mix for these cakes 🙂
I decided to cover the dinosaurs in frosting and in fondant. Turns out they went better than my last attempt at mini-cakes lol (see the fail here hehe)
I’ve tried GF cakes before but they have always been a bit cardboardy. These, I actually enjoyed 🙂 the dino-cakes were a bit stodgier, but I think that’s due to a limited amount of frosting.
Anyway, I hope you guys like this. If you decide to try the recipe, let me know how you get on 🙂
Cheers for now,