A place for all kinds of food, crafts and general nerdery
It’s winter so, as usual, I am struggling with a major cold. The joys of a immune system that is shot to hell. Sadly, G is also suffering so we’re both like the walking dead. Unfortunately, we cannot stop and rest as we both have very hectic jobs that require us to be on the go at all hours of the day. To try and boost my immune system and to help us both overcome this bout of illness, I decided to try and make a chicken and noodle soup that we could pop in a mug for on the go or enjoy at home.
To make it “Immune system boosting”, I added mushrooms, red bell peppers, garlic, ginger and lemon. I think it went well as G has already devoured 2 mugs worth and is moaning that I won’t let him finish the rest of the pot lol!
Here’s the recipe:
170g instant noodles
130g red bell pepper cut into bite size strips
4 Chicken stock cubes
1800ml hot water
100g Chestnut Mushrooms
100g White Mushrooms
8g Garlic Salt
8g Ground Ginger
8g Chinese Five Spice
400g Diced Chicken Breast
1) Put a large stock pot over a high heat. Add the hot water, stock cubes, ginger, garlic salt, five spice and soy sauce. Whisk until the cubes are dissolved. Add the chicken breast, cover and bring to a boil.
2) Once at a boil, reduce to a simmer. Add the eggs and set the timer for 8 minutes.
3) After 8 minutes, remove the eggs and plunge into cold water to stop them from over-cooking. Add the sweetcorn, pepper and mushrooms to the stock pot. Pierce the lemon a few times with a knife and place into the pot whole. Cover and cook for a further 8 minutes.
4) Whilst the soup is cooking, peel the eggs and leave to the side.
5) Remove the lemon and CAREFULLY squeeze the lemon between two spoons to release any remaining juice into the pot. Add the noodles and the eggs, cover and cook for a final 4 minutes.
6) To serve, slice 1 egg per person and add a mix of the broth, noodles and veg. Enjoy 🙂
Here come the stats 🙂
Price per mug: 69p
Calories per mug:183
Vitamin A: 5%
Vitamin C: 575%
Hope you give it a whirl and if you make any changes, let me know 🙂
Cheers for now,